I’m a big fan of the daily Examen, as many of you know. It’s a good idea to make it a daily habit, but it’s also helpful to inject some variety into the Examen so it doesn’t become stale. If you pray the Examen regularly, you might try this variation by Paul Wilkes, a noted Catholic author:
- What did I do that made me happiest?
- Where did I feel ashamed of myself?
- What action would I do over again and how?
- What habits or tendencies worked for or against me?
- When did I feel most in alignment with what is best in me?
Stay with the feeling and allow it to lead you inward.
This is from an article by Wilkes about Ignatian and Buddhist methods of prayer, which is interesting in its own right.