- I begin by giving thanks for the good gifts God has given me so far.
- I ask God for the gifts of insight and illumination into my own situation as a loved sinner.
- I review my past, allowing whatever comes to mind to arise, considering times when God was merciful, kind, and compassionate with me in my own limits and sin.
- I consider where I have allowed that mercy to sink in and inform how I act with others and where I have not yet fully integrated that love into my own actions.
- I ask God for any insight or assistance in guiding a response to what I have experienced in prayer today.
—Excerpted from The Ignatian Guide to Forgiveness
Enjoy the “Examen of God’s Compassion and Mercy for Me” as a video reflection below. Pause the video to give you time to reflect on each step. Take as much time for each step as you like.
Participating in our Lenten read-along? Share your thoughts about this week’s reading in the comments below! And post your thoughts, favorite quotes, or reactions with #lentreadalong on social media.
Thanks Marina for this soothing reflection. God’s compassion and mercy: healing, uplifting and empowering.